About the Program
Despite historic changes that have taken place in Russia over the past two decades and its subsequent emergence into the global community, there are still too few experts in the United States and United Kingdom with direct, meaningful experience in the modern business, government, public policy, and cultural environment of Russia. The Alfa Fellowship Program is designed to address this problem by providing a new and exciting opportunity for young professionals from the U.S. and U.K. to live and work in Russia and to enable them to develop a genuine expertise through individualized professional assignments. As the program continues to expand, a new generation of American and British leaders is being exposed to Russian professional life and society.
The Alfa Fellowship Program sent the first group of Fellows from the U.S. to Russia in 2004. The program was expanded to include U.K. citizens in 2009.
The Program is funded by Alfa-Bank, and is administered in the U.S. and U.K. by Cultural Vistas and in Moscow by the Fund for International Fellowships and Cultural Dialogue.
The Alfa Fellowship Program includes the following provisions:
- Round-trip transportation to New York City or Oxford and accommodation (if needed) for selection interviews
- U.S./U.K.-based language training as required based on proficiency evaluation
- Orientation seminar in Washington, D.C., including speakers, activities, travel, and accommodation
- Program-related transportation between U.S./U.K. and Russia
- Russia-based language training
- Moscow Seminar Program, including meetings, briefings, assignment planning, and excursions
- A monthly stipend during the program in Russia
- All program-related travel within Russia
- Accommodation in Russia
- Limited international health, accident, and liability insurance during the program in Russia